Wednesday, September 13, 2006



Is our (American) definition of rich the same as God's?
.
.
"There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
"The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'
"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'
"He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'
"Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.'
" 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'
"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' " Luke 16: 19-31

8 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Did the final destination of Lazarus and the Rich Man have to do with their earthly possessions or lack of them, or did it have to do with their heart and relationship with God?

The Rich Man showed his lack of godliness by his absolute disregard for Lazarus. However, Lazarus showed his absolute relationship with God through his humble acceptance of his lot.

One flaunted what he had and ignored one that was in his view daily, and the other simply tried to exist without making any waves. Or at least, that's mho.

10:16 PM, September 14, 2006  
Blogger Candy said...

"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

I think God wants desperately to give us good gifts - His good gifts - the gift of the Holy Spirit. Only we get so bogged down in asking for stuff that we don't know what the good gift is - or what to do with it when we get it. So I pray asking for more waves of the Spirit - more of Him - and wisdom.

6:49 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Clint said...

Abraham's reason

"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony."

9:14 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger happytheman said...

I have you as a friend I am rich.

3:45 PM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Beverly said...

In the middle of Barney's song I love you, You love me...Alex looks at me and says, "I love you."
My day is now spent with 22 four year olds who randomly give me hugs and tell me they love me and walk out the door waving, saying, "I'll miss you."

I am a rich woman..

9:08 AM, September 16, 2006  
Blogger reJoyce said...

Candy said:
I think God wants desperately to give us good gifts - His good gifts - the gift of the Holy Spirit. Only we get so bogged down in asking for stuff that we don't know what the good gift is - or what to do with it when we get it.

To which I respond:
Amen!!

9:15 PM, September 17, 2006  
Blogger preacherman said...

I think Time Magazines article is aweful. It send the wrong message to the world. Jesus doesn't want us to be right. This "prosperous theology" is just wrong. The message is clear in the bible don't store up treasures for your self on earth but treasures in heaven.
Thanks for your post.
It was great.

4:51 PM, September 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you and what are you doing?

8:44 PM, October 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Site Counter